The Steeleville Fire Department was formed in 1936 consisting of nine members including the Fire Chief, Herschel “Huts” Webster. The first fire truck purchased for $575.00 was a 1936 Chevrolet. It is still owned by the department and on display in the rear of the fire house. Today the department has a roster of over 20 members. They are a paid by call fire department and are volunteer First Responders. The Department provides fire and emergency medical care for the Village of Steeleville and the surrounding area. In 2014 the department established an Explorer Post consisting of 10 young men and women interested in the field of fire and emergency services. Explorers train with members of the department and are allowed to assist members on emergency calls.